Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves make short work of Dragons

By Staff, 10/12/18 9:30 PM

PRESCOTT – Winning Friday night’s homecoming game was no problem for the Curley Wolves as Prescott easily handled Genoa Central, 45-3.

Prescott is now 6-1 on the season and 3-1 in 5AAA action. The Wolves are in second place in the conference and, if all things stay the same, would play their first playoff game in the friendly confines of Cummings Stadium before taking to the road in the second week.

However, three more games must be played and won before the Wolves can begin thinking of postseason action.

Genoa started the game by receiving the ball. The opening kick went into the end zone for a touchback, putting the ball on the 20. The Dragons ran six plays, getting to the Genoa 38 before punting the ball to the Prescott 38.

The Wolves wasted no time in getting on the scoreboard as Prescott covered the 62 yards in four plays, scoring on a 35-yard pass from Ryan Johnson to Cameron Cox. The point after put the Wolves up 7-0.

Genoa took over at its 21 and began going backwards initially. However, the Dragons made it to their 32 before having to punt again. This time the ball went to the Prescott 44.

Five plays later, Johnson bobbled the ball, and broke free for a 14-yard touchdown. The PAT made it 14-0 with 2:58 left in the first.

Genoa started at its 26, ran three plays and punted to the Prescott 47.

Johnson found Jacobi Nolen with a first down pass to the Dragon 47, but the play didn’t count as the Wolves were hit with a holding call, moving the ball back to the Wolves 37. It didn’t matter. Johnson went to the air again and hit Cox with a 63-yard scoring strike as the ball literally dropped into his hands between two defenders. The PAT put the Wolves up 21-0 with 1:15 showing.

The kick was returned to the 41 where the Dragons set up shop. Two plays moved the pigskin to midfield and ended the first period.  The second quarter saw Genoa enter Wolf territory for the first time to the 48. The Dragons appeared to be moving toward a score, as Genoa drove to the Prescott 35 before turning it over on downs with 8:01 left in the half.

Derriun Thompson took a handoff from Johnson and put six more on the board with a 65-yard scamper. The PAT made it 28-0 with 7:51 to go.

Genoa caught a break on the kickoff. A fair catch was called for at the Genoa 38, but the receiver was hit by a Prescott player drawing a flag for a personal foul. The ball was placed on the Prescott 47. However, the Dragons ended up losing three yards on three plays and punted back to the Wolves, with the ball returned to the 37.

Five plays later the Wolves were at the Genoa 17 and facing a fourth down play. Prescott opted to try a 35-yard field goal with Luis Rabadan’s kick falling just short with 4:00 left.

It was three and out for the Dragons with Cox bobbling the ball at the Prescott 23, getting control of it and returning it to the 38.

The Wolves marched downfield and appeared to put six more on the board on a screen from Johnson to Alex George, only to have the play nullified on a holding call. Johnson’s next pass was too high for Quantas Gulley. Once again the Wolves lined up for a field goal, this one from 32 yards. Rabadan’s boot split the uprights and made it 31-0 with 0:06 on the clock.

Genoa recovered an onside kick attempt to end the half.

The Wolves racked up 317 yards in the first half, while allowing only 63.

Prescott received the ball to start the third quarter. Thompson fielded the kick at Prescott’s five and returned it to Genoa’s five. George took it in on the next play, invoking the mercy rule. The PAT put the Wolves up 38-0 with 11:37 to go.

The kick was returned to the 35. Genoa ran three plays before turning the ball over on downs at the Dragon 40.

Nolen was in at quarterback and winged a pass to Kylin Haynie for Prescott’s final score of the game. The PAT made it 45-0.

At this point Prescott was clearing the benches, putting in pretty much anyone suited up. Genoa returned the kick to the 41 and drove to the Prescott 22 as the third quarter came to an end.

The Dragons started the final 12 minutes facing a fourth and five. The visitors lined up for a field goal, which had plenty of distance and split the uprights to make it 45-3.

The Wolves took over at the 24. Jeffery Williams came in under center and lofted a long pass downfield that was picked off at the Dragon 48 and returned to the Prescott 47.

Genoa drove to the Prescott 13 before being moved back on a holding call. The Dragons made it to the 11 before fumbling the ball away at the 12 with 2:30 showing.

Prescott ran four plays, giving the ball to Tywan Thompson on four straight carries to end the game.

The Wolves will be on the road next week as they travel to Horatio for a date with the Lions. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.