Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves to meet Harding Academy in title game

By Staff, 12/3/21 10:16 PM

MCGEHEE – Prescott will end its season where the season began – at War Memorial Stadium in Little Rock where the Wolves will play Harding Academy for all the marbles.

Prescott made its way to the title game with a 36-20 win over the McGehee Owls Friday night in what was a penalty-filled contest. Harding whipped Booneville, 56-27 to earn its shot at the AAA state title Dec. 11 at noon.

The Prescott-McGehee game wasn’t pretty as the two teams saw 23 flags thrown from start to finish. The Owls also had trouble with the center-quarterback exchange as they put the ball on the ground five times, losing it twice. Early on, neither offense could maintain a drive as the Owls turned it over on downs three times.

Both teams entered the game undefeated with 13-0 records. Both had their starting running backs out with injury.

The Owls got the ball first, recovering a squib kick at its 44. McGehee droveto the Prescott 15 in six plays before fumbling the ball away. Maddux Yates fell on the pigskin at the Prescott 15.

The Wolves first possession saw Prescott get to the 26 before punting the ball to the Owl 40.

McGehee ran six plays before giving Prescott the ball back on downs at the Wolf 41.

Prescott’s offense came to life as Carston Poole hit Jacaylon Zachery for seven yards on first down and connected with Omarion Dickens on a 52-yard touchdown strike on third down. The two-point conversion was no good, but Prescott was up 6-0 with 3:38 left in the first.

McGehee returned the kick to its 35, aided by a five-yard facemask penalty, moving the ball to the 40. The Owls drove to the Wolf six as time ran out in the opening frame. Two plays into the second quarter, the Owls tied the game on a seven-yard run. The point after was wide, leaving the score tied at 6-6.

The ensuing kick went out of bounds giving Prescott the ball at its 44. The Wolves ran six plays but ended up having to puntĀ  as penalties killed the drive. The punt was downed at the Owl 26.

It didn’t matter as Dickens picked off an Owl passĀ  at the Prescott 30 taking it back to the McGehee 37.

Prescott’s next drive began with an illegal block call, moving the ball back to the 47, with Poole getting sacked at the Wolf 47. Though it looked like the Wolves were headed in the wrong direction, Prescott righted the ship with Poole connecting with Erick Grigsby who was brought down at the Owl 37, and saw Grigsby score two plays later on a 19-yard run. The try for two gave the Wolves and eight point lead at 14-6 with 4:37 left in the half.

McGehee returned the kick to midfield, scoring in two plays on a 33-yard run. The two-point conversion tied the game at 114.

The Owls were successful with an onside kick attempt, recovering the ball at the Prescott 38. However, Prescott’s defense stiffened, forcing McGehee to turn the ball over on downs at the Wolf 23 with 18 ticks left on the clock.

Prescott got the ball to start the second half, setting up shop at the Wolf 42, but going nowhere and punting to the Owl 9.

Two plays later, McGehee fumbled with Travion Dickens recovering at the 12.

The chance to put some distance between the teams was squandered as Prescott turned it over on downs four plays later.

McGehee managed to gain six yards in four plays before punting to the Owl 46.

Grigsby basically put the offense on his shoulders on the drive, gaining three on first down and snagging a pass from Poole at the 15 on the next play. He capped the drive with a 15-yard run, with help from his friends as a scrum helped push him into the end zone. The try for two was good, giving Prescott a 22-14 lead. This was as close as McGehee would get for the rest of the game.

The Owls couldn’t move the ball in the third, while Prescott added another touchdown to its tally. The Wolves got the ball on the Prescott 25 with 1:53 left in the third and were hit with an illegal motion call, putting it on the 20. Poole found Zachery on a middle screen, with Zachery racing 80 yards for the score. The try for two made it 30-14.

The kick rolled into the end zone putting the ball on the 20 for the Owls. McGehee opened the final stanza facing a third and 13 on its 17 and managed to gain 21 on the next play. Three plays later, though, the quarterback slipped under heavy pressure at the Owl 20 forcing a punt to the Prescott 43.

Grigsby carried twice, moving the ball to the Owl 46. Branen Bradley carried twice to the 34. Travion Dickens finished the drive with the next two carries, scoring on a 20-yard run. The extra point hit the upright, but Prescott now led 36-14 with 7:17 left in the game.

McGehee started at its 34 and drove to the 26 before losing to the 28 when the quarterback was sacked under heavy pressure, giving the Wolves the ball on downs with 5:11 to go.

Prescott turned it over four plays later, giving the Owls the ball on the McGehee 25 with 3:56 remaining.

Last year the Owls scored three times in the waning minutes of the game to end Prescott’s season. There was no repeat.

McGehee did manage a final, meaningless touchdown. The eight-play drive covered 75-yards and ended with a four-yard scoring run. The try for two was no good, leaving the score 36-20.

An onside kick attempt failed, with Jerry Glass recovering the ball at the Wolf 46. Poole took two knees to run out the clock and seal the win.

Prescott will meet Harding Academy Saturday, Dec. 11, at noon at War Memorial Stadium.