Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves demolish Lions, 62-7

By Staff, 10/27/17 10:24 PM

2017 WOLVES 003

PRESCOTT – Bismarck found Cummins Stadium anything but friendly Friday night as the Wolves crushed the Lions, 62-7.

It was Senior Night for the Wolves, with three dozen students being introduced for the last home game of the season. The next time the Wolves set foot on Eddie Jackson Field will be in the AAA playoffs.

Prescott’s coaching staff made sure all seniors saw action in the contest, which was anything but a contest, but substituted early and often with many of the regular starters watching the game from the sidelines.

The end result was another win for the Wolves, putting the team 8-1 overall and 5-1 in conference play. The win also secured second place for the Wolves in the 5AAA division.

Prescott won the toss and deferred until the second half. The kick was a line drive to the eight and returned to the 27. Prescott was hit for being offside on the first play as a lot of the players were anxious at getting to start. This set the Lions up with a first and five on the Bismarck 32, which meant nothing as it was three and punt.

However, Ka’Darius Pearson fumbled the punt with the Lions recovering at the Prescott 37. The Lions drove to the Prescott 23 before turning the ball over on downs with 7:07 left in the first period.

Bismarck returned the favor by jumping offside on Prescott’s first snap, moving the ball to the 28. Five plays later, Isaiah Wayne basically walked in from the seven for the Wolves’ first touchdown. The point after made it 7-0 with 6:06 showing.

Prescott tried an onside kick, only to see the Lions recover at the Bismarck 47. The Lions lost two on first down, got to the Prescott 39 on the second play and James Kegley found the middle of the field open as he romped in for Bismarck’s only score of the night. The PAT tied the game at 7-7 with 5:01 left in the first.

The Lions attempted an onside kick, only to see Prescott recover at the Wolf 47. Thomas Muldrew went to the air and connected with Cameron Cox who made it to the Lion 30. He next found Pearson for a gain of five before the Wolves went to the ground game giving the ball to LaRoderick Walker twice, moving the pigskin to the 14. Muldrew found an open Jordan Glass for the touchdown with 3:40 to go. The PAT put the Wolves up 14-7 and began a scoring onslaught.

Bismarck started at its 29, but wound up punting three plays later to the Prescott 48 with 1:57 to go in the opening frame.

Prescott had a touchdown called back on the second play after Muldrew had rambled 53 yards. The personal foul call moved the ball to the Lion 37, but didn’t stop the Wolves as Muldrew went in from 22-yards out three plays later. The PAT put the Wolves up 21-7 with 58 seconds left.

The kick was picked up at the 11 and returned to the Lion 25. Bismarck managed to run two plays, gaining three yards, as the first quarter came to an end.

Bismarck ended up punting two plays into the second quarter, where the game got ugly as the Wolves put 34 points on the board, with three touchdowns coming off turnovers.

Prescott’s first offensive series started at the Wolf 47 and ended three plays later with Walker going in from 38-yards out. The extra point made it 28-7.

The kick rolled into the end zone for a touchback, putting the ball on the 20. Three plays later Bismarck punted to the Prescott 32 with 9:07 left in the half.

Cade Haynie connected with Pearson, who coughed up the ball at the Lion 47 with 8:55 showing.

The Lions ran four plays and turned the ball over on downs at the Bismarck 47 with 7:18 on the clock.

Haynie found Cameron Cox for a 53-yard touchdown. The extra point made it 35-7 with 7:10 to go.

At this point, the bottom fell out for the Lions. The kick was bobbled at the nine but returned to the 18. The Lions moved to the Prescott 35 before Larry Peters picked off a pass at the 25 and took it the distance. The PAT made it 42-7 with 5:49 left in the second.

The kick rolled dead at the three and was returned to the 11. The Lions moved to the Bismarck 39 before Trey Rucker picked up a fumble, returning it for six with 4:14 to go. The PAT put the Wolves up 49-7.

The ensuing kick was fielded at the 16 and returned to the 19. The Lions made it to their 30 before a lateral wound up on the ground and was picked up by Jack Arnette, who returned it for six. The PAT was blocked, but the Wolves were up 55-7 with 1:50 left in the half.

Bismarck set up shop at its 31 and managed to run out the clock. However, the second half was played under the mercy rule.

The second half began with all of the Prescott seniors wearing jackets with no pads. The Wolves received the kick, returning it to the 44. On the first play, Jaydon Riley found a gap and raced 56-yards for the final score of the night. The point after made it 62-7.

Most of the starters remained in the game for the Lions, but it didn’t matter as the Wolf defense held them at bay. Bismarck wound up punting, with Prescott fumbling the ball away for the third time of the night. Not that it mattered as the Lions coughed up the ball two plays later with Prescott recovering at the Wolf 44 with 2:43 left in the third.

The Wolves drove to the Lion 23 and tried a 39-yard field goal, only to see the kick fall short.

Bismarck started at its 20, drove to the Prescott 41 and lost another fumble, which was returned to the Lion 35, where it was fumbled again, but recovered by Prescott at the 35.

With time running out, Prescott took a knee to end the game.

The Wolves will be on the road next week as Prescott heads to Jessieville for the final regular season game of the year. Fans need to remember this game will be played on Thursday, Nov. 2, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.