Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves dominate ‘Cats, 42-14

By Staff, 08/31/18 9:55 PM

PRESCOTT – Mena’s Bearcats found out what it’s like to be chased by a pack of hungry Wolves Friday night as the ‘Cats fell, 42-14, to Prescott.

This puts the Wolves at 2-0 on the season, with a bye week next week. Prescott returns to the friendly confines of Cummings Stadium on Sept. 7 when the Wolves host the Hope Bobcats.

Mena won the opening toss, but deferred, giving Prescott the ball. The kick went out of bounds, putting it at the Prescott 35. The Wolves got off to a rough start as the first snap occurred before quarterback Ryan Johnson was ready and skittered to the Prescott 19 where the Wolves recovered it. The second play also saw the ball on the ground, with Johnson recovering it and managing to get to the 21. He gained a yard on third down, but the Wolves had to punt.

The boot went to the Mena 38 where it was bobbled, but recovered by the ‘Cats at the 34 with 10:18 left in the first.

Mena’s first possession also ended with a punt as the ‘Cats couldn’t garner 10 yards on three plays. The punt was fielded by Jacobi Nolen at the Prescott 28. Nolen circled around, crossing the field only to be brought down where he started.

With 8:24 on the clock, the Wolves’ offense kicked into gear. Derrium Thompson broke loose to the Mena 19, before losing two on the next play. Johnson hit Keonte Franklin for six to put the Wolves up 6-0. The point after made it 7-0 with 7:20 showing. Prescott never looked back after getting the lead.

The ensuing kick was fielded at the Mena 14 and returned to the 34 where the ‘Cat offense set up shop. However, a fumble on second down was recovered by Prescott at the Mena 25 with 6:31 left in the opening period.

A holding call moved the Wolves back, but seven plays later Nolen went in from the eight to put Prescott up 13-0 with 3:58 to go. The PAT was blocked.

The kick traveled to the 15 and was returned to the Mena 37. The ‘Cats managed to gain three yards before punting the ball to Nolen at the Prescott 5. He returned the kick to the Mena 38 with 1:44 remaining.

In spite of the excellent field position, the Wolves were unable to do anything with the ball, and punted to the Mena 1 as the first quarter ended.

Mena’s passing attack was working as the ‘Cats drove to the 47 before punting to the Wolf 13 with 9:41 left in the half.

The Wolves managed to get to the 24 before punting to the Prescott 45 with 7:29 to go.

Mena took advantage of the short field, scoring its first touchdown in two plays. The ‘Cats lost two on first down, but hit a 47-yard scoring strike. The PAT cut Prescott’s lead to 13-7 with 6:47 showing.

Franklin took the kick at the 15, found a seam and raced 85 yards for the score. The Wolves went for two, successfully, making it 21-7 with 6:20 on the clock.

Prescott would score two more times in the first half, the next score coming on a five play, 82-yard drive with Nolen scoring from a yard out. The PAT made it 28-7.

Prescott’s next touchdown came on a 17-yard strike from Johnson to Kylin Haynie, after a punt was returned to the Mena 17. The PAT was wide, leaving the score 34-7.

Halftime saw the Prescott School District honor Cyril Stewart for his 57 years in the press box, working Curley Wolf games. His family was presented with a jersey with the number 57 commemorating his dedication to the Wolves.

Mena received the kick to get the second half underway. Starting at its 30, the ‘Cats made it to the 46 before punting. The short kick went out of bounds at the Prescott 43 with 10:32 showing.

The Wolves needed five plays to cover the 57 yards, with Alex George scoring from a yard out. The try for two made it 42-7.

It appeared as though the mercy rule would be placed in effect as the Wolves were pretty much moving up and down the field at will. However, this wasn’t to be.

Mena returned the kick to its 36 and drove 64 yards in seven plays, scoring on a 24-yard pass with 5:27 left. The PAT ended scoring in the game at 42-14.

The kick rolled into the end zone for a touchback, putting the ball on the 20. It was three and out for the Wolves with the punt barely making it across the line of scrimmage and getting to the 37 with 42 seconds left in the third.

The quarter ended on an incomplete pass, while the final 12 minutes began with Mena completing a pass to the Prescott 24. A tipped pass was picked off by Colton Johnson at the Prescott 19 with 10:07 left in the game.

Prescott substituted heavily, but couldn’t move the ball and punted to the Mena 29.

The ‘Cats went three and out, punting to Nolen at the Prescott 35. The ball was returned to the 37, but moved back to the 27 as the Wolves were hit with a holding call.

With 4:39 left in the game, Prescott’s offense pounded Mena’s defense, moving the ball on the ground to the 46 as the game came to an end.

Again, Prescott has next week off, but will return to action on Sept. 14 when the Wolves host the Hope Bobcats.