Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves make short work of Lions

By Staff, 10/19/18 9:21 PM

HORATIO – Prescott ran its record to 7-1 and 4-1 with a 49-0 win over Horatio Friday night.

The game was played on an off-track as it rained pretty much from start to finish, and it wasn’t much of a contest as the Lions simply couldn’t keep pace with the visitors.

The first quarter took 35 minutes to complete, mostly because of some confusion on the part of the officials early on. Prescott only managed to put seven points on the board in the opening period, but made up for it in the second by putting 28 on the board and going into the lockers at the half up 35-0 with the mercy rule in effect the entire second half.

Horatio took the opening kick at its 31 and moved to the 46. Here’s where the game bogged down. The Lions were running an option, with a Wolf tipping the toss, causing a fumble. However, an early whistle nullified the fumble, which Prescott recovered at the Horatio 34, and the ball was given to the hosts at the 45. There was another problem as this occurred on a second down, and the officials failed to have it changed to third down. In effect, Horatio got a “do-over” on the play. In the end it didn’t matter as the Lions turned the ball over on downs at midfield.

Three plays later, Prescott was on the board as Alex George broke free on a 42-yard run. The point after made it 7-0 with 7:13 left in the first. Prescott never looked back and Horatio never got closer.

An onside kick attempt was recovered by the Lions at the Prescott 49, but Horatio’s offense was unable to move the ball and punted to the Wolf six.

The weather conditions and poor field position limited Prescott’s offense and the Wolves punted three plays later with Horatio taking over at midfield.

Once again the Lions couldn’t move the ball and punted to the 10, where Prescott took over.

With time winding down in the opening frame, the Wolves’ offense got in gear, with Derrium Thompson carrying the ball to the Lion 20 as the period ended. George came in to start the second quarter, carried twice and scored on an 11-yard run. The PAT made it 14-0 with 11.19 left in the half.

The ensuing kick was returned to the 28, but the Lions coughed the ball up three plays later with Prescott recovering at the Horatio 31.

It took the Wolves six plays, and overcoming an unsportsmanlike conduct call, to cover the distance. The score came on a five-yard run by Thompson with 8:07 showing. The PAT put the Wolves up 21-0.

This time the kick was returned to the Lion 25, but punted back to Prescott three plays later as the hosts found it all but impossible to move against the Wolf defense. Prescott took over at the Lion 49 with 5:49 on the clock.

It took the Wolves three plays to score, with Quantas Gulley catching a 26-yard pass from Ryan Johnson with 5:10 to go. The PAT made it 28-0.

Horatio started at its 25 again, but wound up going backwards due to a stiff defense and penalties. A third down sack put the Lions on the 16 and forced a punt, which went to the Prescott 48 with 2:13 left.

Johnson connected with Keonte Franklin at the Lion 12 to start the drive, but a holding call on the next play moved the ball back to the 22. Thompson carried to the eight before George scored on the third play. The extra point insured the mercy rule would be in effect the entire second half with the score 35-0 with 1:02 to go.

Horatio again started at its 25, but ran out the clock instead of risking a turnover.

The second half went by in a hurry. Prescott got the ball to start the third, returning it to the Wolf 28. Four plays later, Johnson hit Jacobi Nolen with a 15-yard scoring strike to make it 41-0. The PAT iced the deal making it 42-0. At this point the Wolves substituted heavily.

Horatio returned the kick to its 28 but punted three plays later, with the ball rolling to the Prescott 28.

The Wolves ran three plays, ending the quarter and moving to the 36. Seven plays into the final 12 minutes Prescott put the final points on the board when Tywan Thompson went in from the 27. The PAT made it 49-0.

The Wolves will be on the road again next week as Prescott travels to Camden for a date with Harmony Grove. Harmony Grove will enter the game undefeated in conference play, while the Wolves have a loss in league play. This is a must win for Prescott in order for the squad to have the first game of the playoffs in the friendly confines of Cummings Stadium.

Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.