Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves lose heartbreaker 36-35 in second overtime game of the season

By Staff, 09/6/19 10:26 PM

MENA – For the second week in a row the Wolves found themselves in an overtime game. Unfortunately, for the second time, the squad came up on the short end of the scoreboard, this time 36-35 against the Mena Bearcats Friday night.

The Wolves never led in the game, finding themselves on the wrong end of a 12-0 score in the first quarter.

At times, Prescott proved to be its own worst enemy with penalties killing drives or keeping drives alive for the Bearcats. Both defenses stiffened in the first half of the second quarter, with neither offense able to do much. Midway through the quarter, Mena booted a 27-yard field goal to go up 15-0 over the Wolves.

This seemed to wake the Wolves up as Prescott returned the kick to the 19, but the drive was short-lived, stalling at the 38 and resulting in a punt to the Mena four with 3:55 left in the period.

It was three and out for the ‘Cats on their next possession, with Prescott taking over at its 38.

Prescott’s offense came alive as the team drove 62 yards in five plays. The score came on a 39-yard pass from Jacobi Nolen to Jeffery Williams. The point after made it 15-7.

This proved to be the score at the break as Mena wasn’t able to do anything after taking over with 26 seconds left.

Prescott got the ball to start the second half, with Williams calling for a fair catch at the 29. Four plays later Nolen went in from the four to cut the lead to 15-13. A two-point conversion attempt failed. The Wolves opened the period with Nolen connecting with Derriun Thompson to the ‘Cat 18.

Mena recovered a squib kick at its 33 appeared to be on the move for another score before Thompson picked off a pass, returning it to the Prescott 23.

However, Prescott returned the favor two plays later when Nolen was intercepted with the ball returned to the four. But, a holding call against the ‘Cats moved the ball to the Wolf 36.

Mena went back and forth, getting to the nine on a double-reverse on the first play, only to get hit with another holding call, putting the ball back to the 35 as the penalty was assessed 10 yards from the spot of the foul. A pass to the 23 was practically for naught as the ‘Cats were hit with an unsportsmanlike call, moving the ball back to the 38. Two plays later, Mena scored on a 38-yard scoring pass. The PAT made it 22-13 with 4:52 left in the frame.

The ensuing kick went out of bounds at the Prescott 37, with the Wolves driving 63 yards in 10 plays. The score came on a Nolen to Thompson  five-yard pass. The PAT cut the gap to 22-20 with 29 ticks left on the clock.

Mena returned the kick to the 40 and gained four on the final play of the third. Seven plays later the ‘Cats scored on a four-yard run. During the drive, the ‘Cats found themselves in a bind as the quarterback went down with a knee injury. This didn’t keep the offense from putting the ball in the end zone. With 9:24 left in regulation, the PAT put Mena up 29-20.

Prescott took over at its 33 after a pooch kick. The Wolves got lucky when Williams pulled in a pass thrown into triple coverage at the Mena 31. Four plays later Alex George battled his way in from the nine. The extra point hit the left upright and was no good, leaving the score 29-26 in Mena’s favor.

Mena called for a fair catch on the ensuing kick, taking over at its 31. It was three and out for the ‘Cats with the punt going to the Prescott 31.

Initially, it looked like the Wolves were heading toward a go-ahead score, but Nolen was picked off with the ball returned to the 40. Being called for four penalties didn’t help the drive either.

With 3:33 left in regulation, Mena took over, but couldn’t generate any offense, punting on fourth down with the ball being returned to the Prescott 27 with 2:04 to go.

The Wolves used most of the time, driving to the Mena two. Again, it looked like Prescott was about to take the lead after Nolen connected with Thompson, who went out at the Mena two. However, the next play saw the snap sail over Nolen’s head. He managed to fall on the errant pigskin at the 15 with 30 seconds on the clock. George carried to the 12, but the Wolves had to spend their final time out after taking too long to get lined up. The decision was made to send in Luis Rabadan for a 29-yard field goal attempt. His kick was good, but Mena was called for a dead-ball foul, offside. Prescott couldn’t decline the penalty and the ball was moved to the seven. Rabadan split the uprights on a 24-yard field goal, tying the game at 29-29 with two ticks left.

Prescott tried an onside kick, only to see Mena recover at its 49. The ‘Cats broke loose to the Prescott 34 as time expired. A flag, though, fluttered onto the field and Prescott was called for a personal foul. This moved the ball to the 19, where the ‘Cats lined up for a 36-yard field goal attempt. The kick had the distance, but was wide right. Mena, though, was called for a personal foul after the play and was penalized 15-yards to start overtime.

It didn’t matter as the ‘Cats broke free and scored from 25-yards out on Mena’s first play. The PAT was good, making it 36-29.

Prescott scored two plays later with Nolen going in from the one. However, Prescott’s coaching staff decided it was “all or nothing” and went for two for the win. Nolen was stopped short, leaving the score 36-35.

It’s been several years since the Wolves started a season 0-2.

The Wolves will get a break with a bye next week, and will return to action on Sept. 20 when Prescott makes the short trip to Hope for a date with the Bobcats.