Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves take conference with 49-23 win over Beavers

By Staff, 11/5/21 10:09 PM

PRESCOTT – Undefeated. This is how the Curley Wolves closed out the regular season as the team took care of business against Glen Rose 49-23 Friday night at Cummings Stadium.

This was Prescott’s 28th consecutive conference win and gives the Wolves home-field advantage against the Lakeside Beavers in the first round of playoff action Nov. 12.

Going into the game, the Beavers had only given up 103 points on the season. Prescott scored almost half that many in Friday’s game to go 10-0 overall and 7-0 in 5AAA play.

It was a game of two halves as Prescott’s offense was practically unstoppable in the first half, but didn’t see the field much in the second half, which forced the Wolf defense to carry the load and preserve the win.

The Beavers won the toss and elected to receive. The kick was returned to the 25 with the visitors getting to the 34 before turning the ball over on downs.

This was a welcome gift for the Wolves as Prescott only needed three plays to cover the 34-yards, with Jaylen Hopson breaking loose on a 23-yard run. The point after made it 7-0 with 10 minutes left in the frame.

Glen Rose set up at its 21, drove to the Prescott 11 in eight plays before again turning it over on downs.

This time, the Wolves were further away from the end zone, but it didn’t matter as Jacaylon Zachery, in the Wild Wolf formation, got the Wolves some breathing room when he connected iwth Omarion Dickent at the Beaver 48. Four plays later Carston Poole hit Caleb Harris with a 29-yard strike. The PAT made it 14-0 with 2:58 showing.

Starting at its 34, the Beavers ran seven plays, getting to the 47 where the team faced a fourth and long. Glen Rose lined up as if they were going for it, but quick-kicked the ball to the Wolf 16.

Poole moved the ball to the 23, with Prescott getting help from a facemask call moving it to the 38. The quarter ended with Eric Grigsby being dropped for the loss of a yard. It didn’t matter s Poole connected with Zachery on back-to-back passed, moving the pigskin to the Beaver 46. Seven plays later, Poole found Hopson for a 17-yard touchdown. The PAT made it 21-0 with 9:59 left in the half.

A squib kick gave Glen Rose the ball at its 37, but it was three and out for the Beavers with the punt rolling to the Wolf 30.

Poole was picked off on first down with the ball returned to the Prescott 28.

The defense was called on to stop the Beavers, and stop them they did as Glen Rose turned it over on downs at the Prescott 20.

Chastised, the Wolf offense returned to form, scoring in three plays with Hopson scoring on a 54-yard run with 6:43 showing. The PAT put the Wolves up 28-0 and it looked as though the mercy rule was forthcoming.

Glen Rose returned the kick to the 47 and went nowhere, punting four plays later to the Wolf 12.

Prescott went three and out, punting to the Wolf 47.

This was the break the Beavers needed as the visitors covered the distance in six plays, scoring on a three-yard run. The PAT cut the lead to 28-7 with 37 seconds left in the half.

The kick rolled into the end zone giving Prescott the ball on its 20. The 37 seconds was more than the Wolves needed as Poole found Dickens with an 89-yard scoring strike. The PAT made it 35-7.

It looked as though the game would be put on ice at the start of the third quarter as Prescott was set to receive the kick. A touchdown and extra point would invoke the mercy rule. Didn’t happen. Zachery had trouble fielding the kick and was stopped at the 11. Three plays later, Poole was caught in the end zone for a safety, making it 35-9, as the wheels came off Prescott’s offense.

Glen Rose benefited from an unintentional squib kick, giving them the ball at the Prescott 42. Two plays later the Beavers scored on a four-yard run. The PAT narrowed the gap to 35-16 with 10:40 remaining.

Zachery made up for his miscue on the kick, fielding it at the 13 and taking it 87  yards for the score. The PAT made it 42-16, but it also meant the defense would be returning to the field with little rest.

The Beavers stated at their 30 and kept the ball for 11 plays, scoring on a 12-yard run with 5:23 to go. The extra point made it 42-23 and would end scoring for the Beavers for the night.

Prescott set up shop at its 20 after a touchback and drove to the Beaver 14 before Poole was picked off with the ball returned to the 21.

Glen Rose returned the favor two plays later as Dickens intercepted a Beaver pass at the Glen Rose 47.

It was three and out for the Wolves with the punt being muffed. Initially it looked like Prescott recovered, but the officials gave the ball to Glen Rose at the Beaver eight as the quarter came to an end.

The Beavers ran 12 plays, wearing out Prescott’s defense and driving to the Wolf 17 before coughing the ball up with Prescott recovering at its two.

Hopson took the handoff, found a hole in the middle of the line and literally outran the defense for the final score of the night. The PAT made it 49-23, and put the final nail in Glen Rose’s coffin.

The Beavers started at the 35, drove to the 45 before P.J. Gulley picked off a pass at the Wolf 40 with 5:13 left in the game.

Prescott drove to the Beaver 33 before going backwards and seeing the drive end with Poole being picked off at the Beaver 18 with 2:14 to go.

Glen Rose ran three plays, getting to the 47 as time expired.

Prescott will be home Friday night as the Wolves host the Beavers of Lakeside in round one of the AAA state playoffs. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.