Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves open season with ugly win

By John Miller, 08/24/22 3:21 AM

LITTLE ROCKĀ  – Prescott opened the season with a 47-28 win over long-time conference foe Bismarck Tuesday night in War Memorial Stadium.

It was a win, but an ugly one as the Wolves showed there’s still work to be done in the quest for another shot at the AAA state title. Overall, Prescott was flagged 12 times in the game, most for holding, but had two consecutive major penalties after a Bismarck score that allowed the Lions to kick off from the Prescott 30.

The Lions, though, showed they’re nothing to sneeze at or take lightly as the squad had a solid running and passing attack, and, at times, moved the ball at will against Prescott’s defense.

Prescott ran 67 offensive plays during the game, while the Lions ran 61.

The game began with Prescott winning the toss and taking the ball. The kick went into the end zone, putting the pigskin on the 20. From there, the Wolves ran nine plays, covering the 80 yards and scored on a two-yard run by Travion Dickens. The Wolves went for two, successfully, making it 8-0 with 8:47 left in the first.

Bismarck returned the kick to its 36, ran 12 plays, moving to Prescott’s 23 before turning the ball over on downs.

The Wolves mixed their running and passing attack on the drive, moving to the Bismarck 46 to end the first period. The second quarter opened with Prescott punting to the Lion 20.

It was three and out for Bismarck with the punt being shanked and going out of bounds at the Lion 41.

Prescott needed but two plays to score, using a bit of trickery as Carston Poole laterelled to Eric Grigsby, who went deep to P.J. Gulley for six. The point after made it 15-0 with 9:13 left in the half.

From there, the game slowed down. Bismarck worked the clock so Prescott was unable to run and gun. The Lions set up shop at the Bismarck 36 and drove 64-yards in seven plays, scoring on a 28-yard pass. The PAT made it 15-7, which was as close as the Lions would get the rest of the game.

Following a touchback, Prescott began at its 20 and drove 80 yards in four plays with Grigsby scoring on a 29-yard run. The PAT was no good, but Prescott was up 21-7.

Once again, the Lions started at their 36, but went three and out as Prescott’s defense stiffened. The punt rolled to the Prescott 14.

Prescott’s offense stalled as the Wolves went three and out, punting to the Lion 46.

Two plays moved Bismarck to the Prescott 41 before Talan Smith picked off a pass at the Wolf 37 with roughly two minutes left in the half.

Five plays later, Poole connected with Grigsby for six. The PAT made it 28-7 with 16 ticks left on the clock.

Following the kick, Bismarck took a knee to end the half, knowing the Lions would be receiving to start the third quarter.

The Lions started at the 26 but went nowhere, with Decari Prater picking off a Lions pass at midfield and returning it to the 24.

Poole connected with D’Wayne White on first down for the touchdown. The PAT was wide left, but the Wolves extended the lead to 34-7.

Bismarck, though, didn’t roll over and play dead. The Lions fought back, scoring twice in the third, the first time on a 70-yard pass and the second on an eight-yard strike.

Prescott’s second possession of the period ended in a punt, while the Wolves third possession ended frame. The final 12 minutes began with Prescott facing a third and 31 at the Lions 46. Poole found Dickens, who fought to the 29 and connected with him again to the 11. Dickens carried the ball on the next play, finding the end zone to make it 40-21. The PAT made it 41-21 with 11:13 to go.

The ensuing kick was returned to the Lion 42, with Bismarck needing seven plays, scoring on a 16-yard pass. The extra point made it 41-28. This ended Bismarck’s scoring for the game, though the Wolves still had another score in the team’s back pocket.

Rashawn Bell fielded the kick at the 10, taking it back to the Bismarck 49. Prescott drove to the 21 before Poole was intercepted in the end zone and the Lion defender made a mistake by bringing it out. He was dropped at the three. Three plays later Bismarck punted to its 48.

Dickens carried for 16 on first down. Poole rambled to the 27 on the next play before giving it to Dickens again, who carried to the nine. Two plays later, Brenan Bradley went in from the five to make it 47-28. The PAT was no good.

The Lions last gasp ended with an interception by Bell, who returned the ball to the Lion 47.

Tiquan Box carried to the 27 before Poole took a knee to end the game.

Prescott won’t take to the field again until Sept. 9 when the Wolves head to Fordyce for a date with another familiar opponent in the Redbugs.