Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves exterminate Redbugs, 42-14

By John Miller, 09/9/22 9:35 PM

FORDYCE – For all intents and purposes, Friday’s game ended midway through the third quarter when Prescott built a 35-point lead invoking the mercy rule.

In the end, the Wolves handed the Redbugs a 42-14 loss to go 2-0 on the young season.

It wasn’t an easy game as the ‘Bugs came to play and were the larger team, physically. Still, Prescott’s speed proved to be more than Fordyce’s size could handle in the end.

Prescott won the opening toss and saw Rashawn Bell call for a fair catch at the Wolf 40. A holding call on first down moved Prescott back 10 yards, only to have Carston Poole connect with Travion Dickens for six when play resumed. The extra point was no good, leaving it 6-0 with 11:34 to go.

Fordyce took over at its 12, fumbled on first down but managed to recover at the eight. Two plays later Bell picked off a ‘Bug pass at the Wolf 38.

Unfortunately, the Wolves had issues on the team’s second drive.  A sack fumble cost yardage as did another holding penalty. However, Prescott caught a break when Poole broke loose and was brought down by his facemask. This gave the Wolves the ball in ‘Bug territory, but the drive ended when Poole’s pass was tipped and picked off at the Fordyce 12.

The first quarter was a yo-yo period with both teams going up and down, back and forth and not getting much of anywhere. The frame ended with Prescott in possession at the Fordyce three. Poole powered his way in on the first play of the second quarter to make it 12-0, a successful two-point conversion gave the Wolves a 14-0 lead with 11:56 left in the half.

After mishandling the kick, the ‘Bugs set up shop at the three. Prescott’s defense sagged as the host team drove 97 yards in 10 plays to score and cut the lead to 14-7 with 6:35 showing. This would end scoring for Fordyce until the final period when Prescott had in its second string defense.

Jerry Glass fielded the kick at the Wolf 49. Poole wasted no time and went airborne, finding P.J. Gulley for six. The two-point conversion made it 22-7 with 6:22 to go.

It was three and out for the ‘Bugs with the punt getting to the Fordyce 49.

Prescott started its final drive of the half with another holding penalty. Once this was out of the way, the Wolves moved downfield methodically scoring when  Poole found Eric Grigsby with a 23-yard pass with 53 seconds left. The PAT made it 29-7.

Fordyce returned the kick to its 13, ran a couple of plays and let the clock run out.

The second half began with Fordyce returning the kick to the 27. However, three plays later, Decari Prater picked off a ‘Bug pass at the Wolf 47.

Three plays later, Travion Dickens went in from 15-yards out to make it 35-7. The PAT made it 36-7 with 9:48 to go.

The ‘Bugs set up shop at the 26 and went backwards when the snap sailed over the quarterback’s head and was recovered at the 12. Two plays later, Bell picked off a pass at the Wolf 31.

The Wolves final scoring drive of the night saw Prescott eat up yardage in chunks, gaining 17 on first down, getting to the Fordyce 39 on the second play and nine two plays later. Grigsby scored on a nine-yard run with 6:39 left. A bad snap saw the extra point blocked, but Prescott now led by 35 and the mercy rule was in effect.

A squib kick was returned to the 24, with the Bugs getting to midfield as the third quarter ended. Prescott was subbing heavily at this point, allowing the home team to drive down the field and score on a two-yard run. The PAT ended scoring at 42-14.

An onside kick was recovered by Spencer Hubbard at the Prescott 44. Fordyce left its first string defense in against Prescott’s subs and the Wolf offense went backwards, eventually punting to the ‘Bug 34.

Fordyce made it to the Prescott 33 in two plays, but the buzzer sounded ending the game.

For the first time this season, the Wolves will be in the friendly confines of Cummings Stadium next week as Prescott hosts the Hope Bobcats.

Wolf fans should make note the game scheduled against Parkers Chapel in Oct. 28 has been cancelled as Parkers Chapel went to eight-man football just before the season began. Coach Brian Glass tried to find a replacement game, but couldn’t.