Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves dominate in 63-20 win over ‘Cats

By John Miller, 09/16/22 9:33 PM

PRESCOTT – It was Prescott’s first home game of the season and Curley Wolf fans were far from disappointed as the Wolves posed a 63-20 win over the Hope Bobcats.

This puts Prescott 3-0 on the season, while the ‘Cats are winless at 0-3.

From start to finish, the Wolves were in control scoring 36 points in the opening period. A special teams miscue allowed the ‘Cats to score on a kick return as Kaleo Anderson broke loose for an 85-yard score. Otherwise, the ‘Cats were unable to do anything offensively in the frame.

Prescott took the opening kick, as P.J. Gulley brought it back to the 40. Six plays later, Brenan Bradley went in from 13-yards out. The two-point conversion made it 8-0 with 9:55 showing.

The initial kickoff by the Wolves was fielded by Donovan Jones at the 20 and returned to the 33. Hope gained two yards on first down, nothing on second and Tyler Patterson was stripped of the ball on third with Jamarion Burton scooping the loose ball up and scampering to the end zone. The point after made it 15-0 with 8:20 left in the quarter.

After the kick was returned for the score, Hope pooch kicked the ball, which was pitched back to Gulley, who fought his way to the Hope 20 before being brought down. Two plays later, Carston Poole went in from the one to make it 21-0. The PAT made it 22-6.

Prescott’s next kick was returned to the 22, but, three plays later, the ‘Cats punted to the Hope 45.

Poole hit D’Wayne White on the one-play drive. The PAT put the score at 29-0¬† with 6:33 to go.

The ensuing kick was returned to the 35. The ‘Cats ran three and punted a gain, with the ball rolling to the Wolf 27.

The Wolves put a 10-play drive together to cover the 73 yards, with the score coming on a seven-yard run by Poole with 0:50 left. The PAT made it 36-6, and it was pretty much obvious the mercy rule would be invoked by the end of the half.

Hope started at its 23 after the return and went backwards to the 18 as the period ended. An incomplete pass started the second for the ‘Cats, followed by a punt attempt. The snap sailed over Patterson’s head and was recovered at the Hope one.

Travion Dickens scooted into the end zone for Prescott’s next score. The PAT made it 43-6 with 11:43 left in the half.

Hope set up shop at its 33, ran four plays and turned the ball over on downs at the ‘Cat 48.

Prescott immediately began driving and made it to the Hope 29 before a Poole pass was tipped and picked off by Jaqualin Watson, who took it to the 43.

Hope mounted an 11-play drive, aided by a couple of penalties against the Wolves, including a questionable pass interference call, and got to the four where the drive stalled. The ‘Cats attempted a 27-yard field goal that was no good. With 2:46 on the clock, the score remained 49-6

For the only time of the game, Prescott went three and out, punting  to the Hope 43 and seeing the ball returned to the Wolf 45 with 58 ticks left.

Hope went to its “hurry up” offense, covering the 45-yards in four plays and scoring on a two-yard pass from Patterson to Anderson. The PAT made it 49-13.

It was all over but the final score as the clock ran from the start of the third for the rest of the game. Hope started at its 32, drove to the Prescott 41 before going backwards and having to punt. A shanked punt went out at the Wolf 40 with 5:36 left in the third.

Prescott put a nine-play drive together. The Wolves had to score twice as a holding penalty saw a touchdown called back. Still, the Wolves scored two plays later on a 17-yard run by Poole. The PAT pushed the score to 56-13 as the third came to an end.

Hope started the final 12 minutes by returning the kick to the ‘Cat 42 and driving 57-yards in six plays for the team’s final score of the night. Patterson hit Tamorrion Lindsey with a one-yard strike with 7:09 to go. The PAT made it 56-20.

The Wolves weren’t finished scoring, as the second stringers wanted to get on the act. Pierce Yates took over under center, but Harris did the bulk of the work, carrying the ball four times in six plays, scoring on a two-yard run. The PAT ended things at 63-20.

Prescott will take to the road again Friday night as the Wolves head to Gurdon to face an all-too familiar foe in the Go-Devils. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.