Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves drop Cats

By Staff, 09/15/17 11:18 PM


HOPE – A good night for Prescott turned out to be a bad night for Hope.

The Wolves made the short trip to Hammonds Stadium Friday night for a date with the Bobcats. By the end of the evening the Wolves were 3-0 on the season, while the ‘Cats were 0-3, as Prescott posted a 48-3 win.

Next week the ‘Cats will host DeQueen in Hope’s homecoming game, while Prescott will be at home hosting the Knights of Centerpoint. Kickoff for both games is 7 p.m.

Hope got the ball first, after Bernardo Gonzales booted it in the end zone for a touchback. The ‘Cats took over on their 20 made nine yards and punted. Jonathan Garcia, Hope’s kicker and punter, turned out to be the best weapon the team had as his first punt rolled dead at the Prescott 11 with 9:50 showing.

The Wolves were unable to do much with the ball on Prescott’s first possession and punted back to the ‘Cats with the ball getting to the Hope 37 with 8:17 left in the opening period.

It was three and out for the ‘Cats with the punt being downed at Prescott’s five with 6:11 to go.

Prescott’s offense started clicking as the Wolves drove 95 yards in 14 plays for the first score of the game. The touchdown came on a seven-yard run by LaRoderick Walker. The try for two was no good, but Prescott was up 6-0 with 3:55 remaining.

The Wolves never looked back, scoring two more touchdowns in the first quarter.

Jaloni Davis fielded the kick at the 13, returning it to the 20 where the ‘Cats set up shop. On the second play from scrimmage, Keith Brown was picked off by Derriun Thompson at the Hope 37. He returned the ball to the 33 before being brought down.

Three plays later, MyKal Burns broke loose on a 25-yard run. The point after made it 13-0 with 2:13 to go.

Hope went three and put, with the punt blocked. Hope recovered the ball at its eight, but it was Prescott’s ball on downs with 33 seconds showing.

Thomas Muldrew went in under center and found a wide open Bailey Adams in the end zone for Prescott’s third score of the period. The PAT made it 20-0.

The ensuing kick was fielded at the Hope five and returned to the 31.

Hope ran two plays going nowhere as the first quarter came to an end. Hunter Hellums came in at quarterback and almost had his first pass picked off. On fourth down, Garcia punted to the Prescott 22 with 11:44 left in the half.

The Wolves scored twice in the second period. The first coming on Prescott’s first possession of the period, a 12-play drive that ended with Muldrew going in from the three. The PAT made it 27-0.

At this point, Prescott fans were thinking the Wolves might be able to post a 35-point lead and start the second half with the mercy rule in effect. It didn’t happen.

Davis returned the kick to the 32, but it was three and out again for the ‘Cats with the punt rolling to the Wolf 21 with 6:47 on the clock.

The drive opened with Cade Haynie finding Jordan Glass wide open in the secondary, only to see Glass drop the ball. Prescott made it to the Wolf 33 before Haynie was sacked at the 22. Prescott coughed up the ball on third down with Hope recovering at the Prescott 18 with 5:22 to go.

This was Hope’s best scoring opportunity of the night, and the ‘Cats did manage to get three points out of it. The problem was, the ‘Cats were unable to move the ball in three plays. Initially, Hope lined up for a 35-yard field goal attempt and saw the kick blocked. Flags, though, moved the ball five yards closer as a Prescott player hurdled the Hope offensive line to get to the ball. Instead, Garcia nailed a 30-yard field goal to put the ‘Cats on the board with 3:40 showing.

Ka’Darius Pearson fielded the kick at the two, returning it to the 25. Burns rambled to the Hope 41 on the first play of the final scoring drive of the half. The Wolves needed five plays to cover the distance with Haynie connecting with Muldrew on a 30-yard pass with 2:37 remaining. The PAT put the Wolves up 34-3.

Hope began at its 17, got to its 37, went backwards and punted to the Prescott 37.

With 1:07 left, the Wolves had plenty of time, it appeared, to score again. This, though, didn’t happen. Prescott ran eight plays but saw Haynie dropped at the Hope 25 as the buzzer ended the first half of play.

Prescott got the ball to start the second half, with Muldrew fielding the kick at the goal line and returning it to the Wolf 34. Five plays later, Haynie hit Cameron Cox for a nine-yard touchdown with 10:53 to go. The PAT was moved back five yards as the Wolves were hit with a procedure penalty. Still, Kade Honea booted the ball between the uprights to make it 40-3 and invoke the mercy rule.

Gonzales’ kick went into the end zone for a touchback.

Hope started at its 20, got almost to the 30, but ended up having to punt. The ball took a Prescott bounce and was downed at the Hope 44 with 6:14 to go.

Prescott sent in an entirely new offense and saw the subs drive to the Hope 10 before a high snap sailed over Larry Peters’ head and recovered by Hope at its 33.

The Wolves also substituted an entire defense as the ‘Cats took over. Hope ran one play, getting to the 44 as the third came to an end.

Hellums saw his pass picked off to start the final 12 minutes, with the ball returned to midfield.

Prescott put together its final scoring drive of the game, going the distance in 10 plays with Jaydon Riley going in from the seven with 6:18 left in the game. Prescott was successful with a two-point conversion attempt, making it 48-3.

Hope took over at its 10, ran three plays and punted, with the ball again taking a Prescott bounce and being downed at the Hope 31.

Peters took two snaps, dropping to a knee and ending the game.

Both squads open conference play next week, with both teams at home. Game time for the ‘Cats and Wolves will be 7 p.m.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *