Prescott now 4-0, dumps Knights, 53-0

By Staff, 09/22/17 9:45 PM

2017 WOLVES 002

PRESCOTT – Friday night’s game between Prescott and Centerpoint was over almost before it began as it was a case of score early, score often for the Wolves.

The Wolves put 28 points on the board in the first quarter en route to a 53-0 drubbing of the Knights at Cummins Stadium. The Knights won the toss and elected to receive. However, it was three and out for the visitors with the punt going out of bounds around the Centerpoint 30. The first flag of the night, though, saw the ball moved to the Prescott 44 as the Wolves were hit with a personal foul call.

The Wolves did nothing on the team’s first drive and punted to the Knight six with 8:47 left in the first.

Centerpoint took to the air, completing two passes. A third was almost picked off, and the fourth pass attempt was intercepted by Derick Thompson, Jr., who turned it into a pick six with 7:00 showing. The point after made it 7-0 and the route was underway.

Prescott went for an onside kick and managed to recover at the Knight 34 with 6:58 to go. MyKal Burns fought his way to the 12 before Thomas Muldrew topped off the drive with the first offensive score of the night. The PAT put the Wolves up 14-0.

The next kick was a line drive fielded at the eight and returned to the 27. But, it was three and out for the Knights with the punt rolling dead at the Prescott 45 with 6:20 on the clock.

Cade Haynie took to the air finding Ka’Darious Pearson who went 55 yards for the touchdown. Pearson followed his blockers, using them as chess pieces to keep defenders off him. The PAT made it 21-0 with 6:09 still to go.

Bernardo Gonzales booted the ball to the end zone for a touchback, with Centerpoint starting on its 20. The Knights gained six yards on three plays and went for it on fourth down. Bailey Adams almost picked off the ball, but wound up batting it down giving Prescott the ball on the Knight 26 with 4:01 remaining.

Haynie connected with Cameron Cox to the 12, was sacked at the 19 on the second play, saw Burns gain two on second down, and hit Pearson at the two on third down. Muldrew took it in with 2:36 on the clock. The PAT put the Wolves in control 28-0.

Gonzales’ kick again wound up in the end zone for a touchback.

The Knights completed a pass to the Centerpoint 46, but ended up fumbling the ball away with the Wolves recovering at the Knight 41.

Burns was caught for a loss back to the Wolf 49 on first down. Haynie battled to the Knight 48 as the first period came to an end.

The second quarter opened with Prescott facing a third and 10. Haynie connected with Muldrew, who was caught at the Wolf 47. Prescott had nothing to lose and went for it on fourth down. Haynie found Jordan Glass, who took it to the Knight 35. Two plays later Burns went in from 18-yards out. The PAT was wide, but the Wolves were up 34-0 with 11:08 left in the half.

The kick was returned to the 26. The Knights managed to get to the 39, only to see their quarterback sacked at the 35 and a third down pass almost picked off. The punt rolled to the Wolf 36 with 9:11 showing.

Muldrew took over under center and found Cox on a 64-yard touchdown pass. The PAT made it 41-0 with 8:58 still on the clock.

At this point the Centerpoint coaching staff agreed to invoke the mercy rule and let the clock run for the remainder of the game.

The Knights did nothing on their next possession, which saw Jaydon Riley pick off a pass and take it in for six, only to have it brought back on an illegal block in the back call against the Wolves with 5:08 left in the half.

Prescott only needed one play to cover the 27 yards as LaRoderick Walker went up the gut for the score. The PAT was again wide, but the score was now 47-0.

Gonzales’ kick ended up in the end zone for a touchback.

The Knights managed to run three plays, one was a fumble Centerpoint recovered at its 14 and the final play of the half was a pass almost picked off.

The Knights were disheartened at not being able to keep up with the Wolves, and by the third period, their heads were hanging. The Knights couldn’t run or pass effectively on offense, nor could the visitors stop Prescott’s offense.

Prescott scored on six of seven possessions in the first half. The Wolves finished the game with substitutes on both sides of the ball.

The third period began with Prescott opting to kick off to the Knights. The kick again went into the end zone. Centerpoint mounted its only offensive threat of the night moving to the Prescott three in 15 plays before turning the ball over on downs at the Wolf three after Prescott’s defense made a solid goal line stand. The drive took all but 1:56 off the clock.

Iaaiah Wayne rambled to the 15 to give the Wolves some breathing rom. Riley broke loose to the Knight 20 as the third came to an end.

Larry Peters was the quarterback for the second half and missed connection with Derrick Nolen on first down. Riley battled to the eight before Wayne went in for the final score of the game. The PAT was blocked leaving the score 53-0.

The kick was returned to the 25, and the Knights made it to the Prescott 48 before a high snap sailed over the quarterback’s head and was covered at the Knight 25. Two plays later Centerpoint punted to the Prescott 19.

Riley gained a yard on first down, with Peters gaining two yards on the next two carries. From there the Wolves took a delay of game penalty and let the clock run out.

Prescott will be on the road next week as the Wolves make the short trip to Gurdon for a date with the Go-Devils. These two teams have a long history of not liking one another whether they were in the same conference or not. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *