Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Wolves fall to Glen Rose, 38-27

By Staff, 10/13/17 10:07 PM

2017 WOLVES 003

GLEN ROSE – Turnovers and penalties proved to be more than Prescott could overcome Friday night as the Wolves fell to Glen Rose 38-27.

Prescott’s winning streak ended at 21, dropping the Wolves to 6-1 on the season and 3-1 in conference play. Glen Rose is also 6-1, but is 4-0 in conference action. The Wolves suffered four interceptions, with two returned for touchdowns. But what really killed Prescott’s chance of winning was having a touchdown called back late in the game due to a holding penalty.

From start to finish it was a defensive battle as neither team’s offense could get going consistently. Glen Rose scored first on a pick six when Cade Haynie was intercepted in the first period. The point after made it 7-0.

Prescott returned the favor by recovering a fumble in the end zone after the Beavers had been pinned deep in their own territory. However, the Wolves missed the PAT and trailed 7-6. The Wolves trailed most of the game.

The first quarter came to an end with the score 7-6 as the teams basically swapped punts. The difference was the Beavers consistently had better field position, while the Wolves were regularly starting from Prescott’s 20.

Prescott opened the second period running two plays, losing yards and punting to the Beaver 49.

Glen Rose was aided by an offside call against the Wolves and covered the distance in 12 plays. The PAT put the Beavers up 14-6 with roughly seven minutes left in the half.

Prescott took over at its 37 after the kick, but ended up punting to midfield.

The Beavers got to the Wolf 19 and tried a 36-yard field goal unsuccessfully.

Prescott was unable to move the ball on its next possession and punted to the Wolf 45.

Glen Rose managed to get to the 25 where the drive stalled and a 42-yard field goal attempt went wide. Halftime arrived with the Beavers up 14-6.

Neither team’s aerial attack worked consistently during the night, and the Wolves repeatedly tried to run wide, but had little luck. The Wolves had less than 75 offensive yards in the first half.

The Wolves received the ball to start the second half, starting at the Prescott 48. It took five plays to cover the 52-yards with Thomas Muldrew going in from four yards out. A two-point conversion knotted the score at 14-14 with 10 minutes to go in the period.

Glen Rose started at its 20 following the kick, which went into the end zone, and wasted little time in retaking the lead. The Beavers drove 80 yards in nine plays with the help of a personal foul against the Wolves. The PAT made it 21-15 with 5:54 showing.

Starting at its 23, Prescott drove to the 40 before Muldrew was picked off at the Beaver 20.

Glen Rose went backwards in three plays and punted to the Prescott 42.

Muldrew fired a bomb to Cameron Cox for six, with the extra point tying the game at 21-21 with 5:00 to go.

Following a Glen Rose punt in a three and out series, Prescott started at the Beaver 48, only to see Muldrew picked off a second time at the Beaver 37.

However, the Wolves returned the favor, intercepting a Glen Rose pass on second down and setting the team up at the Beaver 39.

Unfortunately, it didn’t matter as Muldrew suffered a third interception in the end zone putting the ball on the 20.

Glen Rose drove to the Prescott five in six plays and saw a third field goal attempt split the uprights from 25-yards out to put the Beavers up 24-21.

With 5:38 left in the game, the Wolves set up shop at the Prescott 33 and went 67 yards in five plays, mostly going up the gut. The point after was unsuccessful but the Wolves were up 27-24.

Returning the ball to the Beaver 39, Glen Rose wasted no time in retaking the lead, scoring in four plays. The PAT made it 31-27 with 2:29 left in the contest.

Prescott began at its 21, getting to the 24 before Haynie hit Cox on what looked like a 76-yard touchdown pass. The zebras, though, called the Wolves for holding, nullifying the score and putting the ball on the 10. Haynie’s next pass attempt was picked off and returned for a touchdown. The PAT made it 38-27 with 1:25 remaining and sealed Prescott’s fate.

The Beavers were penalized for taunting after the score and kicked from the 25, until the team was called for delay of game and the ball moved to the 20 Jaydon Riley covered the squib kick at the Glen Rose 43. Prescott drove to the 12, but ended up turning the ball over on downs after four consecutive incomplete passes.

Prescott will be on the road again Friday, Oct. 20 as the Wolves head to Benton Harmony Grove. In all likelihood, the Wolves will end the season second in the conference and could potentially meet Glen Rose in the playoffs, depending on how the bracket are set up.

3 Responses to Wolves fall to Glen Rose, 38-27

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *