Widgetized Section

Go to Admin » Appearance » Widgets » and move Gabfire Widget: Social into that MastheadOverlay zone

Tough loss for the Bears

By Staff, 10/7/17 10:15 AM


SPRING HILL- The Bears took a tough loss tonight against the Mount Ida Lions. The captains for the night were number 5, Payton Massanelli and number 49, Dustin Beck. The bears received the first kickoff, with number 12 Rusty Orr returning the kick to the 36 yard line. Cameron Middleton ran the ball up the middle to the 42 yard line and Keymonte Rhodes ran the ball towards the right getting to the Lions 48, with a turnover on downs the lions made multiple plays with stops made by Cannon Saunders, Drake Kidd, and Parker Freeman but it wasn’t enough to keep the Lions from scoring their first touchdown of the evening, with less than 6 minutes remaining in the first quarter. The Bears managed to recover a fumbled kickoff but were not able to score, receiving a turnover on downs in the midfield. The Lions made their second touchdown. Massanelli returned the kickoff where he was run out of bounds at about the 20 yard line. With a pass being intercepted by the lions and brought back to the bears 39 with a 39 yard touchdown run to follow for the lions bringing the score Lions 21 Bears 0 at the end of 1st quarter.

The second quarter didn’t have a good start for the bears. After two lion touchdowns, and an unsportsmanlike conduct called against the lions moving the kickoff to the lions 35 it was returned to the 35 yard line. Rhodes then carried the ball where he ran to he right then cut back over to the left to get the Spring Hill first down. With a substitution call and an incomplete pass they were finally to get a complete pass to number 7, Hays Martin at the 45 yard line getting a first down. Rhodes had a five yard gain in the next play. Middleton caught a pass and was able to get not the end zone scoring the bears only touchdown for the night. After the bears kickoff being returned, it took the lions two plays before making a touchdown. The lions ended the first half ahead 47-7 with the bears trailing.

The second half of the game started with a turnover on downs from the lions, Massanelli carried but had a loss on the play followed with Hays Martin carrying the ball making it 4 and 14 for the bears. When the fourth quarter started the clock continued to run, the lions ended the game with a touchdown making the final score 57-7.

The bears will travel next Friday night, October 13 to Mountain Pine to face the Red Devils.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.